Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Remembering...

Veteran's Day...wow. A day to remember those who have served our country, those who have passed on & appreciating those who are still in active duty. It's days like this that sometimes we can quickly acknowledge & we can quickly forget. Not that we want to, but if we're not closely affected by the loss of a loved one for our country or if we don't have someone close to us serving...we can very easily forget how extremely blessed we are as a country that we have and have had some of the most amazing, selfless, courageous & strong individuals fighting for us to live where & how we do. When I really sat to think about the sacrifice that these people give to us, it was really hard for me to fathom this selflessness. As humans, we are naturally wired to be selfish. We are naturally wired to do, say & be what will benefit number one. It takes a love and committment so beyond ourselves to really be able to give of our time, talents & life without hoping or desiring recognition. The brave men & women who serve our country can't be selfish. I find it really hard to think they can be. Who would purposely jeopardize their safety? Who would really want to leave their family for training or deployment? Who would spend long hours of heavy physical & emotional training just because? It's the most selfless of lives to choose & I really do not think we take the sacrifices that our military endures to heart as much as we should. I am so incredibly grateful for their dedication & sacrifice & I don't think any amount of words could really explain how humbling it is to know that someone is willing to sacrifice everything for me. Wow.

In thinking about these sacrifices, it also reminds me that Jesus died for me. He died for you. The ultimate sacrifice. Even when I make mistakes, even when I don't have it all together...his sacrifice was for me, too. What an amazing gift we have available to us. The most beautiful thing about this gift is that we cannot do anything to earn it. We can't be "good" enough. We can't "do" enough. We can't "earn" it. We can't "buy" it. Nothing. We just have to accept it.

So, on this Veteran's Day...I am grateful for selflessness, sacrifice, courage & strength from these brave men & women & I am grateful for the selfless sacrifice of Christ on the cross. How truly blessed we are. How truly humbled we should be.

Photobucket

No comments: