Thursday, June 05, 2008

Hmmm...Decisions, Decisions...

And decisions it is! The past few weeks have been a bit crazy for me as I've been on the prowl for the camera I am hoping to upgrade to next. My camera is going to need a replacement very soon & I have to admit that this has been one of the hardest decisions I've had to make in a long time! I've been renting lenses & trying many different ones out over the past few months & I'm certain which ones I will need & which ones I can live without for now...but this camera business is tough! And of course...the prices of a new camera aren't my idea of fun...but I have to invest in my business at some point for the future! I think I've been very modest thus far to just keep things logical & simple...so I intend to do the best I can with what I have for now...but I am definitely looking forward & here's what I've found so far:

Two weeks ago...I had the Canon 40D. I have very mixed feelings on this camera. I liked it...but the quality was not that significant from what I am currently using (even with a variety of L quality lenses from Canon). I shot a wedding & used both my current camera & the 40D & you would never be able to tell which camera took what. For me...paying to upgrade my camera body...I need to see a significant difference in image quality to invest in an upgrade. So, my opinion was to stay put for now with what I have.

Then, this past week, I had 2 cameras visiting my home. :-) I had the Canon 5D & the Nikon D300. Granted...I felt very bad about even having a Nikon in my home (haha) but I have never actually used a Nikon so I wanted to test what was on the other side so to speak as Canon & Nikon are sure fire competitors in the Photography world. :-) I actually got the Nikon first & was very impressed with the photos. I loved the sharpness, crisp & bright photos I was getting from it. Even with my complete lack of Nikon camera workings. :-) I didn't like how it felt in my hands, though. It felt very boxy & square to me...but that's besides the point. And then, the next day...the 5D came. I took it out & loved how it it felt in my hands. Very Canon-ish. :-) And the menu was so similar to what I have now that it was simple to start taking pictures. And I LOVED THEM! They were sharp and the color was so rich & warm & sharp...yet creamy. Like butter. :-) I honestly was re-thinking Canon vs. Nikon when I had the D300 the first day because I have never used any pro Canon cameras...but when I uploaded those photos from the 5D...I was hands down sold with Canon once again. I used it with the 24-70mm f/2.8 lens (awesome) and my 85mm f/1.8 (sweet butter!) and I really was happy with the results. I will give many kudos though...to the Nikon D300. I had the 24-70mm f/2.8 lens on it this week. It's an incredible camera with awesome features & great pictures...but I'm holding out for the upgraded 5D that is supposed to come out in August. Or I'll snag the current 5D for a discount when the new one comes out. It's a beautiful camera & I must have read the manual 50 times & played with it for hours! So sad to have to give it back this weekend...but I'm glad I took the time to rent a few different cameras so I know what I want & more importantly...what I need for the type of work I do. The 5D is a highly sought after portrait camera...so it definitely suited those needs for me while I used it this week. Here are a couple pictures of Tim & I playing around with the arch enemies this week...haha! The one's of Tim with the D300 are shot from the 5D & the ones of me with the 5D are from the D300. And none of these pictures are edited at all...I wanted to show their glory right out of the camera...:-)

Canon 5D
















And the Nikon D300














1 comment:

Corinna Hoffman Photography said...

5D rules!! Go Team Canon ;-D